October Meeting Minutes

ADSA Minutes

October 15, 2014

  1. Meeting called to Order @ 2:03 with Prayer by Michael
  2. Introductions
  3. Minutes- approval moved Jonathan, 2nd by Abigail

*from now on minutes will be approved by email so that they might be gotten out sooner. Board members will be considered to have approved the meetings unless they note their objections by email.

4)   Reports

Knox- had AD meeting last week for all AD students

St Mikes- Women’s Tea Time Oct 16 @ 4:00pm. Oct 24-25 Music, Theology and Justice Conference. Oct 30 Trappist Trivia

Trin- Had 1st AD meeting (small but good turnout)

Hx-had a meeting. CCHS conference Oct 31-Nov 2 with TST students and Faculty presenting

MA- PD seminar Oct 16 on MA Thesis Writing

ADC-PhD program has not yet been approved, but is being worked upon. MA proposal- New MA will replace ThM and current MA (concern for those that already have a MA). ADSA is listed on the TST org chart as a committee of the Graduate Center, done because TST knows who is part of the program, Becca will investigate.

GSC- will have 3 reps for this year with representation going down to 2 next year. Board of Trustees liked the survey but want Jerry to have input next time for clarities sake.

UofT-ICS making progress for student association, we have invited them to events in the past and will continue to do so until they are set up, at which point we will discuss payment options, unknown what the timeline will be. TA training program meetings were encouraging about coming to a deal, asked for a needs assessment, survey will be happening to see if it is needed. Michael is investigating if there is actually a problem that is needed to be solved with regards to the part-time dental discussion.

Conference- we only received $1500 for Judaism and Christian Studies. Also looking for students that are doing Judaism studies work for recruitment for this conference.

5)   PD seminar- Thesis writing seminar for MA students. Gift cards of $25 for presenters

Mental Health-Nov/Dec- Jonathan and Allison

Jobs Seminar- because of Regis and the Bridge class on Jobs we will not be doing anything this year for Jobs. Still looking for other alternatives (possibly a social gathering)

6)   Other – Dominican Institute doing conference “Church Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow” on ecclesiology, Jan 23, 2013.   Call for papers coming soon.

7)   Next Meeting Nov 13, 2014 @ 10am

Meeting closed @ 3:00 pm

Agenda 22 Sept 2014

ADSA Agenda

September 22, 2014

 

 

1: Opening Prayer

 

2: Introductions (if needed)

 

3: Approval of Minuets

 

4: Reports

A: College Reps

-St. Mikes

-Regis

-Trinity

-Wycliffe

-Knox

-Emmanuel

 

B: Departments

-History

-Pastoral

-Theology

-Biblical

-MA

 

C: Other Committees

-ADC

-University of Toronto

-Conference

-Other Committees

 

5: Appointments to Committees

 

6: Budget

 

7: Professional Development Seminars

 

8: Other Business

 

9: Next meeting date

 

AGM minutes

The AGM Minutes from 3 April 2014 . I’m sorry they have been so long in coming

TST Advanced Degree Students’ Association

Annual General Meeting                                                   Thursday, April 3, 2014

Agenda

  1. Welcome
    1. Opening Prayer (Stanley Hauerwas)
    2. Introductions (if necessary)
    3. Approve Agenda
      1. Propose item to second to last – passed
      2. Agenda is approved
  2. Ratify Constitutional Amendments
    1. Motion: to accept the results of the referendum (attached page 2) and change section 4 of the ADSA Constitution as proposed.
      1. Changes approved
  3. Approve Changes to Board Structure, Duties, and Related Policies
    1. Motion: to change sections C, D, and E of the ADSA Policies and Procedures as proposed (colour handout, pages 1-6) and renumber sections D, E, and F accordingly.
      1. Changes in representation
      2. Secretary will record attendance
      3. Making it clearer as to how to remove officers
      4. Motion to pass
      5. Changes passed
  4. Accept Year-End Financial Statements (attached pages 3-4)
    1. Came in under budget on a lot of things
    2. Will be slightly adjusted since TST is covering lunch
    3. Conference budget is discussed
      1. Working out honorarium
      2. New topic next year – Jewish-Christian dialogue (may be money available)
    4. Draw new travel bursary winner
      1. Nick Olkovich was drawn
  5. Receive Draft of Annual Report for TST (attached page 5)
    1. Michael goes over the report
    2. Open to revisions
    3. From “nearly” to “over” 50 people attended the conference
    4. Stronger language around thesis defence; unanimous vote to have open thesis defences and unanimous survey approval
  6. Receive Preliminary Survey Results (colour handout, pages 7-12)
    1. Volunteers to finish and proof survey report and presentation to TST Board?
    2. People who received nothing? How is that?
      1. Are people reporting for their whole program or just for the current academic year? We need to tighten down he survey.
      2. Benefits and delays
        1. Students are doing a lot of conferences
        2. Also grant applications take a lot of time
        3. TA and RA positions also take up a lot
        4. Non-academic delays are also significant – go over other things mentioned
        5. Most delays around 4 months
        6. Languages and course grades are significant delays
        7. Discuss student expectations
      3. Negative experiences
        1. Have they been reported?
        2. Perhaps anonymous reporting makes people more inclined to report discrimination.
        3. What is number 5 about?
          1. Questions were based on GS survey
        4. 11 people reported abuse – but the onus is on the people to report this
        5. Would you encourage other people into the program?
          1. 71% – but not the 88% of grads that TST claims
          2. But more negative comments this year than last
          3. Make certain comments more anonymous
          4. Our numbers should be seen as relative to other departments; but we shouldn’t entirely discount the survey results
          5. We need to continue to report data and take out certain themes
  7. Ratify Elections Results
    1. List of nominations (attached page 6)
      1. Two people for Biblical Dept.
      2. We need to have an election through the Biblical Dept.
        1. Online vote or call a meeting?
        2. Chris will attend meeting in May.
        3. Let’s talk to respective candidates and see if they are both interested.
      3. All other nominations were acclaimed
    2. Discuss and approve elections procedure (if necessary)
      1. MA candidate – Daniel Pettipas
      2. Emmanuel – Allison Murray
      3. Elections ratified with the exception of the Bible Dept.
  8. Appointments to Fill Vacancies (if desired)
  9. Receive Preliminary Budget for Next Year (attached page 7)
    1. Travel bursaries may be administered by TST
      1. We would still put in money, but they would assess more factors (i.e. location of conference) in terms of granting the bursaries
      2. Social budget will probably be more than $400
      3. Budget adopted
  10. Set Date for First Meeting of New Board
    1. Push discussion until August and we’ll figure out a meeting time then
  11. Other Business?
    1. Thanks to all for their time and contributions

AGM Agenda and Attachments

The draft agenda for the Annual General Meeting of the Advanced Degree Students Association is now available. Also available are the results of the referendum on amending the ADSA Constitution and the latest draft of proposed changes to the ADSA Policies and Procedures. The final financial statement will be posted next week, and any other materials will be available at the meeting, which will be from 11am to noon on Thursday, April 3rd, in Boardroom 1 at TST.

February Minutes, Revised Duties for Board Members

The minutes for the February Board meeting are now available, along with the results of the referendum on amending the constitution, which was successful. In response, at today’s meeting the Board approved revisions to the duties for Board members. The changes still need to be ratified at the AGM in two weeks, but the proposed duties are listed below for anyone who is interested in running for a position on the Board next year and would like to see what each position entails. The call for nominations will go out on the mailing list tomorrow morning.

D.  Duties of ADSA Board Members

D.1 President

D.1.1 Will chair all ADSA meetings.

D.1.2 Will set the agenda, date, time, and location for meetings in consultation with the Board.

D.1.3 Will appoint Board members to sit on TST committees with student representation in accordance with these Policies and Procedures.

D.1.4 Will be the principal liaison between the ADSA and the TST Director, communicating regularly to relay student questions and concerns.

D.1.5 Will sit on the TST Board of Trustees as an invited guest, attending all regular meetings (normally 4/year), briefing the ADSA Board on issues affecting students, and applying to present student feedback to the TST Board.

D.1.6 Will attend meetings of the Academic, Advanced Degree, or Graduate Councils as needed.

D.1.7 Will welcome new students and introduce them to the ADSA and its activities at TST’s annual orientation.

D.1.8 May have cheque-signing authority along with the Treasurer.

D.1.9 Will summarize the ADSA’s past year of activities at the AGM and prepare a report to be posted online and shared with TST.

D.2 Vice-President External

D.2.1 Will be the principal liaison between the ADSA and the University of Toronto student unions, meeting with TST’s UTSU representative (if any) twice a year, meeting with a representative from the UTGSU twice a year, and attending UTSU and UTGSU General Meetings, normally in the fall term.

D.2.1 Will meet with University of Toronto administration and staff as needed to better understand and improve TST student access to university services.

D.2.2 Will work with the VP Internal and other Board members to inform all TST students about their representation in university student politics and access to university services.

D.2.4 Will be the principal liaison between the ADSA and students at affiliated schools, especially ICS.

D.2.5 Will attend meetings of the Board of Trustees or Academic Council as needed.

D.2.6 Will chair ADSA meetings in the absence of the President.

D2.7 Will be the parliamentarian and assist in procedural disputes.

D.3 Vice-President Academic

D.3.1 Will be the principal liaison between the ADSA and the TST Director of Graduate Studies.

D.3.2 Will sit on the Academic Council, attending all regular meetings (normally 2-4/year), reporting matters discussed to the ADSA for input and relaying student feedback back to Academic Council.

D.3.3 Will sit on or attend meetings of the Advanced Degree or Graduate Councils as needed, reporting matters discussed to the ADSA for input and relaying student feedback back to the Council.

D.3.4 Will meet with ADC, Department, and Program representatives (including if possible outgoing representatives) after each election to schedule service on the Advanced Degree or Graduate Councils, orient new members, and help ensure continuity in representation.

D.3.5 Will assist the Department and Program representatives and other Board members in gaining an understanding of the issues faced by students through polls, public meetings, and social media.

D.4 Vice-President Internal

D.4.1 Will work with the other college representatives to build relationships between colleges and improve communication with college student associations, councils, and leaders.

D.4.2 Will help inform basic degree students about their representation on the TST Academic and Basic Degree Councils, their right to run for a seat on the UTSU Board of Directors, and their access to university services.

D.4.3 Will meet with the leaders of all the Basic Degree Student Associations once a year, either individually or collectively, with the relevant college representatives, TST’s UTSU rep (if any), and other Board members as needed.

D.4.4 Will sit on the Academic Council when the second student seat is not claimed by a basic degree student, attending all regular meetings (normally 2-4/year), relaying basic degree student concerns, and supplementing the VP Academic’s advocacy for advanced degree students.

D.4.5 Will attend meetings of the Academic, Advanced Degree, or Graduate Councils as needed.

D.4.6 Will help oversee elections, recommending Board members to serve as the Chief Returning Officer and convening meetings of students in a particular college or department as necessary.

D.5 Vice-President Conferences

D.5.1 Will sit on the Conferences and Lectures Committee, attending all regular meetings (normally 2-4/year), reporting matters discussed to the ADSA for input and relaying student feedback back to the Conferences and Lectures Committee.

D.5.2 Will begin and lead planning for an ADSA conference each year, setting and announcing the conference date, call for papers, and submission deadline in consultation with the Board; accepting paper and panel proposals; and preparing them for blind review by a small group of Board members.

D.5.3 Will work with the Treasurer to apply for conference funding, prepare a budget for the conference, and track conference expenses; may also have cheque-signing authority.

D.5.4 Will share responsibility for other conference tasks with all Board members.

D.6 Treasurer

D.6.1 Will be responsible for ADSA bank account(s) and have cheque-signing authority.

D.6.2 Will record all expenditures and income.

D.6.3 Will prepare a brief financial report for every Board meeting (report may be oral).

D.6.4 Will prepare a financial statement for the year just completed and a preliminary projected budget for the following year at the AGM in April.

D.6.5 Will present a revised budget for approval at the November Board meeting.

D.6.6 Will prepare a detailed financial statement for the first meeting of the ADSA Board at the beginning of the academic year.

D.6.7 Will ensure the annual student levy is collected from member colleges, TST, and affiliated schools as applicable.

D.6.8 Will attend meetings of the Conferences and Lectures Committee in place of the VP Conferences as needed.

D.6.9 Will announce and accept applications for travel bursaries according to criteria approved by the Board.

D.7 Secretary

D.7.1 Will confirm the date, time, location, and agenda for all meetings is publicly announced in advance.

D.7.2 Will record the minutes for all ADSA meetings.

D.7.3 Will present the minutes of each meeting for approval at the next meeting.D.7.4 Will archive all approved ADSA agendas, budgets, minutes, and reports online.

D.7.6 Will attend meetings of the Library Committee in place of the Library Committee representative as needed.

D.7.7 Will confirm access to the TST Governance Blackboard and control of official ADSA websites, social media, and e-mail accounts is transferred between outgoing and incoming Executives.

D.8 College Representatives

D.8.1 Will report issues pertaining to AD students at their college at each ADSA meeting.

D.8.2 Will post relevant college announcements on the ADSA website or social media page, such as upcoming events, student accomplishments, publications, job openings, dissertation defences, etc.

D.8.3 Will represent the ADSA at their college orientation.

D.8.4 Will be the principal liaison between their college and the ADSA.

D.8.5 Will meet with members of their college’s student association(s) or council(s) individually or with the VP Internal as needed.

D.9 Department and Program Representatives

D.9.1 Will report issues pertaining to AD students in their department or program at each ADSA meeting.

D.9.2 Will represent student concerns in meetings pertaining to their department or program. This may require gaining an understanding of the issues faced by students in their department or program through polls, public meetings, and social media.

D.9.3 Will be the principal liaison between the ADSA and the chair of the department or director of the program, as applicable.

D.9.4 Will share responsibility for sitting on the Advanced Degree or Graduate Councils with the VP Academic and other Department and Program representatives, and when sitting, will attend all regular meetings (normally 8/year), report matters discussed to the ADSA Board for input, and relay student feedback back to the Councils.

D.10 Library Committee Representative

D.10.1 Will be the advanced degree student representative on the Library Committee, attending all regular meetings (normally 4/year) and participating in listserv discussions.

D.10.2 Will report important information, debates, and decisions from Library Committee meetings to the ADSA Board for student input.

D.10.3 Will ensure student concerns about library services and collections are represented to the Library Committee.